Covenant Health
806.725.0000
About Us About Us News Room Careers Contact Us
Find a Our Doctors For Services For Patients For Visitors For Community
About Us

History

Covenant Health is a member of St. Joseph Health, one of the most successful not-for-profit health systems in the United States. It was founded in 1998 through the merger of two of Lubbock's most venerable heath care facilities, St. Mary of the Plains Hospital and Lubbock Methodist Hospital System.

St. Mary Hospital was founded in 1937 as the 10-bed Plains Hospital and Clinic, becoming St. Mary of the Plains Hospital in 1939, when the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, California, purchased the facility. Today, St. Mary of the Plains Hospital is known as Covenant Medical Center–Lakeside.

The facility now known as Covenant Medical Center began as the 25-bed Lubbock Sanitarium in 1918. The facility became known as Lubbock General Hospital in 1941, then Lubbock Memorial Hospital in 1945. In 1954, it became Methodist Hospital.