Covenant Health
About Us About Us News Room Careers Contact Us
Find a Our Doctors For Services For Patients For Visitors For Community
About Us
About Us
Annual Reports
Community Health
Connect With Us
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Facts and Statistics
Facilities
Find a Facility
Maps and Parking
Arrington Comprehensive Breast Center
Care in Your Region
Center for Outpatient Diabetes Education
Children's Hospital
Covenant Care Clinics
Covenant Hospital Levelland
Covenant Hospital Plainview
Diagnostic Imaging
Hybrid Operating Room
Knipling Education Conference Center (KECC)
LifeStyle Centre
NeuroScience Institute
Pre-Registration Centers
Rehab Centers
School of Nursing
School of Radiography
School of Surgical Technology
Sleep Centers
Southwest Medical Park
Specialty Hospital
SurgiCenter
FAQs
For Employees
For Health Professionals
About Our Medical Staff
Continuing Medical Education
Covenant Medical Group
Covenant Medical Library
Education Assistance Program
For Physicians
EHR
For Nurses
Health Care Education
Lunch and Learn
Office of Physician Services
PACS Filmless Radiology
Pharmacy Shortages
Physician Connect
Stat Notes
History
Newsroom
News and Announcements
Publications
Media Requests
Awards and Recognitions
Quality of Care
HIPAA Notice
Accreditation
Patient Satisfaction
Ethics
Quality Reports
Spiritual Care
Mission, Vision and Values

Share this page:

Facebook
Twitter
Google +

History

Covenant Health is a member of St. Joseph Health, one of the most successful not-for-profit health systems in the United States. It was founded in 1998 through the merger of two of Lubbock's most venerable heath care facilities, St. Mary of the Plains Hospital and Lubbock Methodist Hospital System.

St. Mary Hospital was founded in 1937 as the 10-bed Plains Hospital and Clinic, becoming St. Mary of the Plains Hospital in 1939, when the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange, California, purchased the facility. Today, St. Mary of the Plains Hospital is known as Covenant Medical Center–Lakeside.

The facility now known as Covenant Medical Center began as the 25-bed Lubbock Sanitarium in 1918. The facility became known as Lubbock General Hospital in 1941, then Lubbock Memorial Hospital in 1945. In 1954, it became Methodist Hospital.