Remember: Time Lost = Brain Lost
If you suspect that you or someone you are with is experiencing a stroke,
don't wait - call 911!
Stroke Warning Signs
- Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one
side of the body.
- Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
- Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden severe headache with no known cause.
Stroke is the fourth leading cause of death and the leading cause of adult
disability in the United States. When a stroke occurs, you need immediate,
expert care—and you'll find it at Covenant.
Our highly trained physicians, nurses, therapists and staff members offer
exceptional stroke care, from diagnosis to intervention to rehabilitation,
as well as preventative education and health screenings.
Our Primary Stroke Center includes:
- Emergency Services, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—responding
immediately when a stroke is suspected, with evidence-based protocols
established by the American Stroke Association.
- The latest technology, testing and interventions used to rapidly diagnose
and treat a stroke, including clot-busting medication (tPA) when the patient
arrives within 4.5 hours of the onset of stroke symptoms.
- A stroke coordinator who monitors the care of stroke patients in the hospital,
ensuring seamless care through discharge, and provides community education.
- Physician specialists, including neurologists, neurosurgeons and vascular surgeons.
- Inpatient Rehabilitation, which provides comprehensive care by highly trained
nurses and therapists.
- An accredited Stroke Recovery Program, which provides ongoing care by physical,
occupational, and speech therapists after discharge from the hospital.
- Education and health screening programs to help reduce the incidence of
stroke in the community.
Covenant's Stroke Program has been recognized by:
- The American Stroke Association with its Get with the Guidelines™,
Stroke Gold Plus Performance Achievement Award.
- The Society of Chest Pain Centers as Lubbock's first accredited Cycle
III Chest Pain Center. The accreditation is a mark of excellence verifying
that Covenant has good outcomes, streamlined processes and a completely
integrated, comprehensive program for the treatment of cardiac issues.
- HealthGrades as a recipient of Stroke Care Excellence Award in 2010, ranking
among the top 10 percent in the nation for treatment of stroke.