Know Your Medications - It Could Save Your Life
In the interest of providing you and/or your family with best care, Covenant Health urges you to carry a complete, up-to-date list of your home medications with you at all times. Medication errors are a primary cause of complications in healthcare. Emergencies can occur and this information is critical for the healthcare provider to avoid adverse reactions related to medications that may be new for you during your treatment at our hospital.
By using a current medication list and keeping it updated, you:
- Reduce confusion and save time. It helps you remember your medications.
- Improve communication. Provide health care providers with a current list of ALL of your medications. The list lets you and/or family member know exactly what medications are to be taken and when.
- Improve MEDICATION SAFETY. Medication interactions and duplications can be detected and corrected.
In addition to prescribed medications, it is also important to include such things as:
- Eye drops
- Patches that contain medication
- Over-the-counter medication: examples include Aspirin, antacids, vitamins, laxatives, etc.
- Dietary and herbal supplements: examples include Gingko Biloba, Wort, Green Tea, etc. (NOTE: when taking herbal supplements, please notify your physician)
We are providing our patients with a plastic sleeve to store and protect their medication list, so that they can keep it with them at all times. You may download a free copy of a blank medication list form below:
Download Your Free Medication List Form (MS Word)
We recommend your designated emergency contact person keep a current list of your home medications. This will help your health care provider to better care for you in the event of an emergency.