Covenant Health’s Clinical Academy
Covenant’s Clinical Academy provides an integrated, consistent support
structure for mentoring, career guidance and development, and new nurse
onboarding to make sure our nurses are reliably prepared, inspired, and
challenged in their evolving role as a nursing professional.
As part of our competency-based orientation, graduate nurses are automatically
enrolled in the Clinical Academy as Residents and placed in the clinical
tract most closely related to their desired specialty area.
- Acute Care Nursing/Medical Surgical
- Critical Care/Telemetry
- Emergency Department
- Perioperative Services
In addition, all residents are enrolled in the Core Fundamental Course,
designed to assist the new nurse in transitioning to the role of a healthcare
professional. Unit or department trained preceptors provide support in
the clinical setting. Experienced nurses or those desiring a change in
their practice setting may enter the program as fellows.
Clinical Academy programs are designed to enable both residents and fellows
to thrive in their practice at Covenant Health. We strive to make your
learning and development experience meaningful, rich, and beneficial.
All of the programs:
- Aim for the highest clinical quality, and patient and nurse safety.
- Are designed to support the nurse’s professional development and
effective transition to key specialty roles.
- Are based upon specialty-specific and nationally recognized standards,
incorporating evidence-based practices. Each program is evaluated and
- Leverage clinical simulation as an essential training tool to deliver state-of-the
art learning, On-line learning modules are embedded within the Academy programs.
- Incorporate comprehensive feedback to measure success and constantly improve.
How long is the program?
- Length will vary by specialty, but may last up to 24 weeks. Because these
programs are competency based, length of time may vary based on assessment
of progress during the program.
- Program hours will vary between class time and matching resident/fellow
schedules with their preceptors.
Discover the atmosphere that will nourish your passion and inspire your
best work—Discover Covenant Health.