Covenant Women’s & Children’s Quick Facts
Covenant Women’s & Children’s is the first family-centered care facility in the region dedicated to women and children.
- Women’s Services - The relocation added 31 beds to the current women’s service areas. In addition to almost doubling the labor and delivery recovery rooms (LDRs), three triage rooms were added to admit women in labor directly to the unit. Antepartum expansion included two outpatient testing rooms and an ultrasonography room on the unit.
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) – Staffed by highly trained nurses and four pediatric intensivists – physicians specializing in pediatric intensive care – the PICU cares for an average of 950 patients annually. The new, expanded PICU offers nine intensive care rooms with nine intermediate rooms- an increase of six total beds.
- Pediatric Emergency Department – The region’s only accredited emergency center dedicated to children now has double the square footage. The experienced nursing staff in the Pedi ED cares for 25,000 pediatric patients annually.
- Pediatric Trauma – Covenant Children’s Hospital was the first children’s hospital in Texas to receive American College of Surgeons level II designation. The new facility offers two dedicated pediatric trauma rooms, connected by one physician room. A specialized radiant warmer designed by a staff nurse offers 360 degrees of heat for a child in a trauma and is now marketed internationally by the manufacturer.
- Pediatric Medical/Surgical Unit –Every inch of the 37-bed unit was designed with kids in mind, including special shower-tub combos requested by moms. A “My Town” theme offers a fun, safe healing environment for children. The staff cares for 2,500 patients each year.
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) - Covenant’s NICU is level III C, the highest rated NICU in the region, and the only one in Texas to offer special NICU equipment for triplets or quadruplets designed to allow the siblings to sleep in the same pod for sibling bonding and healthier babies. Opened in 2007, the newly renovated NICU offers 34 beds, 5 more beds than of previous NICU.
- Ronald McDonald Family Room – Designed with home-like comforts, the Family Room offers shower and laundry facilities, private bedrooms, and wheelchair accessible kitchen and living areas for parents while their child is in hospital care. A business center with computers, printer and Internet access is open to all guests.
- Margaret Talkington Prayer Garden offers a place of reflection and respite for parents and family members.
- Isom Heart Center for Children - Pediatric heart center dedicated in March 2006 and named after Dr. O. Wayne Isom, nationally renowned cardiothoracic surgeon from Idalou.
More About Us
As our region’s only licensed children’s hospital, Covenant Children’s Hospital is dedicated to bringing our sacred mission of healing to the children of our community. Every inch of our 73 total beds is specially designed to meet the needs of children and their families—and to provide our patients with the best possible care.
That means fostering a child-focused, family-centered environment where everything—from our spacious, family-friendly rooms to our child-sized medical equipment—helps to put our patients and their loved ones at ease.
It also means ensuring that the children of our community can always get the care they need close to home. That’s why we’ve assembled the largest staff of pediatric health professionals in the area—more than 400 in all. The services they provide include a comprehensive array of specialties ranging from cardiology and oncology to gastroenterology and neurology.
As part of that commitment, we also created Lubbock's only licensed children’s emergency room, with a specialized pediatric trauma center and the highest possible level newborn intensive care unit.
So, through every stage of childhood, your family can rely on Covenant Children’s Hospital to provide the quality health care you deserve right in your own neighborhood. When you’re ready to get the region’s best pediatric care for your child, use our online tools to find a physician or
contact us for more information.