skip to main content

HealthCalling

Keeping the Covenant Overview

03-05-2015

We made a promise. Now we are Keeping the Covenant.

Consistently ranked as a top-tier healthcare provider regionally, Covenant Health is set to embark on a capital improvement project called “Keeping the Covenant” to better serve the 1.2 million people of this region and to bring the latest technology in medical care to the South Plains. From humble roots planted in west Texas clay over 100 years ago, Covenant Health continues a legacy of excellence in care.

Keeping the Covenant involves massive renovations of current facilities, new construction and technology upgrades. Slated to be completed in five to seven years, Keeping the Covenant begins with expansion and renovation of the Joe Arrington Cancer Center (JACC) and the main Covenant Medical Center (CMC) campus. At the JACC, patients will be treated with the latest radiation therapy equipment in remodeled patient care facilities. New medical oncology and specialty clinics will be included in the broadened JACC.

Construction at CMC begins with new kitchen and dining facilities for both visitors and physicians. Valet parking will temporarily be relocated just west of its current location to make way for new endoscopy, day surgery and pre-operation accommodations. Additional improvements include renovation to the existing heart center and radiology units and a new central plant.

Later expansion at CMC will include demolition of the west tower and construction of a new tower to house women’s services and a new main hospital entrance. The new women’s services floors will feature labor and delivery and postpartum floors, relocated from Covenant Children’s Hospital, and a neonatal intensive care unit to serve newborns until their mother is released.

Covenant’s commitment to excellence in health care extends beyond the main medical campus. Two new clinics are to be constructed under this plan, including one in northwest Lubbock that is set to break ground this month. The northwest clinic will provide new space for six family practice physicians and an attached urgent care area with shared x-ray and lab facilities. Covenant Plainview Hospital has also begun major renovations and expansions to the surgery center, emergency department and patient rooms.

The final phase of Keeping the Covenant includes renovations to Covenant Children’s Hospital (CCH). With the move of women’s services to the new tower of CMC, CCH will renovate three floors dedicated to new administrative and support services. Improvements made to patient rooms and facilities are also in the works.

Funding for the entire Keeping the Covenant project will total $445 million. Current cash holdings and income from services provided will finance 90 percent of Covenant’s massive upgrade and expansion plan. The remaining 10 percent will be funded through donations with fundraising efforts beginning in 2016.

The founders of the early hospitals and clinics in Lubbock left a legacy of quality health care in west Texas. With top-notch facilities and technology Covenant Health is working to carry on that legacy for the next 100 years. That’s our covenant and we’re keeping it.

Categories: Keeping the Covenant
This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical condition. Please seek medical advice from your physician for any related medical condition. If you are in need of a primary care doctor, click here to find one in the Covenant Health network.

Share Your Story

Are you interested in sharing
your experience with us?

Yes I am