We understand that prompt and adequate treatment of pain is essential through
the laboring process and postpartum. Every effort will be made to keep
you as comfortable as possible.
You can expect the following from the staff:
- Your nurse will ask you about your pain upon admission.
- You will be asked to rate your pain on a scale of 0-10 (0 indicates no
pain, 10 indicates your worst pain).
- Your questions about your pain and pain relief will be answered promptly.
- Your preferences will be respected in determining how to best manage your pain.
What Can You Do to Help Manage Pain?
- Tell us when you feel pain
- Tell us what works and doesn’t work for you when you have pain.
- Let us know what your pain is on a rating scale of 0-10.
- Let us know if your pain is not relieved.
- Be open to managing your pain with suggested medication and/or other treatments
such as relaxation, massage, movement or immobility.
- If you have any problems, please bring them to the attention of the nurse
Questions You May Want to Ask
- If I am in pain, what will you prescribe that will control it?
- What is the best way for me to tell you about my pain?
- Will I be clear-headed after taking the prescribed medication?
- What are my choices for pain relief?
Additional information is available on pain management. We recommend you
register for a Prepared Childbirth Class and discuss pain management with
your physician and your nurse.
Covenant Hospital supports mothers’ individual choices for pain management.
Obstetrical Anesthesiologists are on-site and available 24 hours, 7 days
a week, 365 days of the year.