Obstetrical Emergency Department
Covenant Children’s is pleased to introduce the OB and emergency
department hospitalist program that allows hospital-based OB/GYN physicians
(hospitalists) to focus on providing consistent care to patients in the
hospital, as well as emergent care to those arriving in Labor and Delivery.
Covenant Children’s is proud to offer the first and only OB hospitalist
program in Lubbock. Covenant is committed to enhanced safety for all maternity
patients by ensuring that board certified physicians, specializing in
obstetrics and gynecology, are in the hospital and available 24 hours
a day 7 days a week.
Expert Emergency Care
Covenant wants mothers who are experiencing complications to be seen right
away by an in-house, board-certified OB/GYN, who can provide care until
the patient's own doctor can evaluate the mother and baby’s
condition. Our hospitalist physicians work with your primary OB/GYN provider
to give immediate care and help make decisions about hospital admission
What Could Bring an Expectant Mother-to-Be to the OB Emergency Room?
- Concern about Pre-term labor
- Pelvic pain
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Urological conditions, such as bladder infections or urinary tract infections
- Conditions related to high-risk pregnancy (example: high blood pressure)
OB/GYN Physician Availability
- An OB Emergency Department (OBED) is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
and continuously staffed by Board Certified OB/GYN physicians (hospitalists).
Patients coming to the OB Emergency Department should enter through the
main hospital entrance. Patients will be subject to Emergency Department
copays. Copays will vary and are based on your plan benefits.
- In the event that your physician is not available, OB hospitalists can
examine you, evaluate the progress of your labor, review test results
and fetal heart rate tracings. They will address any evolving issues and
provide you and your baby with a safe delivery.
- Due to their primary focus of hospital-based treatment, hospitalists are
experts at providing emergent care and are on-site if an emergency occurs.
- Hospitalists will be in communication with your physician and will have
access to your prior medical records.
We are located at 4002 24th St., Lubbock, TX 79410. You can reach us at